In his seminar, Health After Hurt, kidnapped teacher and author Rob Hunter, retells the story of the Wooreen State School kidnapping of 1977 and the after affects. The presentation gives first hand insight into the trauma experienced by the victims, of heroism and bravery, along with the health and healing that is possible from such pain and torment.
Students are given practical tools to cope with their own hurts and traumas.
Year Levels – 6 to 12
Health and healing from hurt, pain and trauma.
Year level assembly (one period) followed by individual class workshops (one period) – variations available for particular school’s needs.
Content of assembly
Detailed account of the story. Video footage. Pictures. Overview of healing process. Q & A.
Class Workshop Sessions
Group discussion about the story. Promotion of good practice to facilitate social, emotional and mental health. Character development. Written activities and discussion. Class teacher involvement.
✅ Resilience and Bullying
✅ Social, Mental and Emotional Health
✅ Respectful Relationships: Emotional Health, Character Strengths and Bullying
✅ Health and PE: Personal, Social and Community Health
✅ Happy Healthy and Resilient Kids
- Self-awareness: be able to recognise and manage emotions; recognise the benefits of having a grateful mindset
- Social awareness: help develop care and concern for others; see the benefits of
having an others centred attitude
- Responsible decision making: understanding and applying decision making skills
- Self-management: handle challenging situations effectively; take increasing responsibility for their own health and physical wellbeing
- Relationship skills: establish positive and respectful relationships; deal with conflict; build trusting adult relationships; recognise the importance of forgiveness; form attachment to a familiar and consistent educator/s
Parent Testimonial – Helen Genio
Bronwyn Knight, Assistant Principal, Oberon High School
Lyn Eeles, English Domain Leader
Katharine Corrin, Year 9 Coordinator
Greg Ross, Community Leader
Get in touch to discuss running the seminar at your school.